24 HR EMERGENCY LINE:  01392 876622



I want to be a Veterinary Surgeon

There are a huge number of applicants for Veterinary Surgery each year and there are now more Universities offering Veterinary degrees in the UK than ever before. All universities will expect excellent grades at A Level as well as demonstration of a variety of work experience placements. The type of experience needed includes part-time work in Kennels or Catteries, relief milking jobs, dog walking, lambing jobs, or weekend work at a Riding School or Livery Stables etc.

Many prospective veterinary students ask us if they may spend some with the vets to gain experience of the veterinary profession, (but sadly) we are only able to accept students who are over 18 and are already enrolled at university for insurance purposes. The situation is sometimes different for small animal veterinary practices. As all vets have to qualify initially as mixed practitioners (doing small animal work mainly) before specialising in equine, exotic or farm species, it is a good idea to spend time at a small animal practice to find out how they run and what the job may involve. It may be that you are asked to help clean kennels, feed inpatients, mop floors and make tea but you will learn so much about working as part of a team and will most likely see operations and treatments being performed whilst you are there, as well as having the opportunity to chat to the vets about your chosen career!

For more information, see the RCVS website: http://www.rcvs.org.uk/education/i-want-to-be-a-vet/

For current veterinary students wanting to apply to see practice with us, please email, info@stdavids-equine.co.uk

I want to be a Veterinary Nurse

Working as a Veterinary Nurse is an incredibly rewarding career – it has a good balance of teamwork, working to a high standard, with responsibilities and sometimes the opportunity to progress into a more managerial role. You will be interacting with clients, animals and Veterinary Surgeons on a daily basis and can get a great deal of satisfaction and reward seeing cases that you have looked after return home to their owners. There is also the opportunity to specialise in Equine Veterinary Nursing specifically if this is your particular interest. For more information on Veterinary Nursing see the RCVS Website: http://www.rcvs.org.uk/education/i-want-to-be-a-veterinary-nurse/

I want to be an Equine Physiotherapist

To be able to work as a qualified Equine Physiotherapist you must first qualify as a human Physiotherapist (www.csp.org.uk/professional-union/careers-development/career-physiotherapy), and then go on to do further training in the Animal field under ACPAT ( http://www.acpat.org/careers-and-development).

I want to be an Equine Dental Technician

There are many people in the UK who market themselves as ‘Equine Dentists’ or ‘Equine Dental Technicians’ however only people who have undergone formal training and registration with the BAEDT are legally allowed to perform dentistry in horse’s mouths. The work of people who refer to themselves as Equine Dentists or Equine Dental Technicians but are not currently registered with the BAEDT will not be insured if anything goes wrong and may have undergone no formal training at all. 

For more information on becoming a Qualified and Registered Equine Dental Technician see the BAEDT website: http://www.baedt.com/students_16592.html

I want to be a Farrier

You must be over 16 to start a Farrier Apprenticeship. The Apprenticeship involves working with an Approved Training Farrier (ATF) and completing outcomes at an Approved Training College. For more information, see The Farrier’s Registration Council Website: http://www.farrier-reg.gov.uk/farriery-training/becoming-a-farrier/